New (temporary) dojo!
Since community groups are not allowed back into the schools — and are not likely to be allowed back for many more months — we have decided to temporarily move to a new dojo. Our new location is 3 Moffatt Street in Mount Pearl, off Topsail Road and just beyond the intersection with Commonwealth Avenue. While this is further west from our current dojo, it is only 15 minutes from downtown of St. John’s. IF ANYONE NEEDS A RIDE TO GET TO CLASS, PLEASE LET US KNOW!
What’s appropriate about this venue during a pandemic is that it is divided into rooms, so we can practice social distancing. Each room will accommodate three mats each, therefore large enough for two people to practice comfortably and safely. We are the only users of the space, so there is no need to put down mats before class and take them up afterwards; they can remain permanently in place.
Robust hygienic measures
To ensure that we reduce contagion as much as possible, we will adopt the following procedures:
- All practitioners will be required to wear an appropriate mask. We have arranged to purchase masks that are highly effective in reducing airborne particles and will require practitioners to purchase these masks. They are very attractive: black with the Fudoshin logo in white. The masks are adjustable for different face types and sizes, including children, and are available for $10 each.
- You will be asked to remain with the same partner throughout the class, and in the same room.
- You will be asked to apply hand sanitizer before class.
- If the weather is appropriate, we can open windows to increase air circulation.
- If you feel ill or if you have been in close contact with someone who feels ill, we ask that you not attend class.
- After class, practitioners are asked to: (1) clean the mats, (2) wipe down door handles, light switches, etc., and (3) clean the washroom. Cleaning supplies will be provided by the dojo. The idea is to leave the space clean for the next class.
The measures exceed those recommended by government and we feel that they should be sufficient to control the spread of the virus, should someone be an asymptomatic carrier. We will also continue to take attendance, in case we ever need to do contact tracing.
- Classes will be one hour in length. (Cleaning time will be added at the end; it should only take a few minutes.)
- Teachers are available to teach at the following times:
- Mondays and Wednesdays at 7:00 pm (our regular times)
- Tuesdays and Thursdays at 12:00 pm
- Saturdays at 10:00 am
- In addition, there is a weapons class at The Lantern at 5:00 pm on Wednesdays (with a separate fee; see below).
- We ask that you arrive wearing your gi in order to save time. However, if that’s not possible, there is a large washroom that can be used as a change room. The front door will be open 15 minutes before the start of class, so please arrive early if you need to change.
- For new members, we have some gis available for sale.
- Fudoshin members are able to practice up to 5 times a week.
- The monthly membership fee remains the same as before: $50 for adults and $25 for youth and students.
- The Wednesday weapons class at The Lantern is extra and costs $25 for the four scheduled classes before the Christmas break. Interested students MUST pre-register with Colleen Hogan (firstname.lastname@example.org) since this class is covered by a separate insurance policy.
We hope you will consider these measures sufficient to practice safely and comfortably.